At Central plumbing & heating our OFTEC registered engineers are qualified to work on all aspects of your oil fired installations.
✔ Installation of oil boilers
✔ Servicing of oil boilers
✔ Repairs to oil boiler and heating systems
✔Aga installation and maintenance
✔Oil tank installation and maintenance
✔Oil supply pipework and valves
✔Oil safety checks
✔Oil boiler efficiency testing
What is heating oil?
Around 4 million homes in the UK are not connected to the national gas grid (natural gas), so instead, these home rely on other energy sources such as;
- heating oil
- LPG (Liquified Petroleum Gas)
- renewable sources to heat their home.
The main difference between gas from the grid and heating oil (as well as LPG) is that heating oil is delivered by road and stored in a tank.
If your house has an oil boiler and it runs on heating oil, Central plumbing & heating will be able to assist you with whatever your needs may be.
Types of heating oil
There are two types of heating oil that are used in oil heating systems:
- Gas oil - Also known as 35-second oil or red diesel. This is heavier oil generally used in older boilers, in agriculture or commercially.
- Kerosene - also known as 28-second or heating oil. This fuel is lighter and cleaner, and the most common type used in homes in the UK.
If you've recently moved into a property, the type of oil you need is determined by the type of heating system already installed in your house.
Your boiler and tank should be clearly labelled, if it isn't then you can book Central plumbing & heating to correctly identify your type of fuel.
Heating oil prices
In January 2017, the average price for a litre of kerosene was 43p but the price can fluctuate.
- January 2016, 32p per litre
- January 2015, 46p per litre
The price of heating oil can depend on numerous different factors including global production, the time of year you buy and the amount you buy.
Here's a quick guide to help you with some of the terms used in the oil and heating industry.
- Bund - An enclosure for containing a single skin tank. The bund prevents pollution in the event of an oil spillage or leak.
- Flue termination - The point at which flue gases are expelled from the boiler into the air.
- Motorised valve - An electrically powered valve used to control where water leaving the boiler goes, that is, to provide heating or hot water. Valves are available which can do both.
- Single skin oil tank - The most basic form of oil tank comprising a steel or plastic skin which contains the oil. Often this type of tank would not meet regional building regulations.
For a full list of jargon buster phrases, check out this extensive list from the Oftec website. Jargon buster.
[otw_shortcode_button href="https://www.centralplumbers.co.uk/contact" size="medium" icon_position="left" shape="square" color_class="otw-blue" target="_blank"]Contact us[/otw_shortcode_button]
[otw_shortcode_button href="https://www.centralplumbers.co.uk/heating-plumbing-quote-lincoln" size="medium" icon_position="left" shape="square" color_class="otw-blue" target="_blank"]Book a free quote[/otw_shortcode_button]
Question about our oil services?
Contact form - We respond to enquiries within 1 hour
We will send you an auto-reply, please check your junk folder.
Our next available oil boiler service appointment
To see our full calendar for boiler servicing appointments please click here.